Saw Kings of Leon tonight! Twas amazing and they are awesome. And I wasn't behind the stage this time, which was a plus.
A few brief and late-night highlights:
- Opened with "Closer" and "Crawl", which makes it go from creepy to kickass immediately.
- Is "Charmer" so early in the set to ensure that Caleb can shriek as banshee like as possible?
- Gaaaah, "Fans"! Favorite. Love love love.
- Current obsession with Aha Shake Heartbreak made "The Bucket" and "Slow Night, So Long" particularly awesome.
- I need to take this moment to be a total geek. I know and love these songs, I listen to this band so much, but tonight I realized even more than I already knew just HOW distinct and incredible each component of their music is. I sometimes find myself patting out Nathan's beats or singing along to Jared's bass line or wiggling my fingers to Matthew's guitar and I just LOVE that. I love that the whole is so huge, yet the sum of the parts completely lives up to it. Just the fact that there are songs where I can sing the bass line better than the words because it's that clear is unreal. Love it.
- Singing along to "Knocked Up", oh oh oh oh oh ohhhh! Then having Caleb tell us he hadn't heard it quite so good in a long time.
- "Be Somebody"! "I Want You"! Pretty much ALL of Only by the Night except "17"!
- Ok, "Trani" is not a song I listen to a lot, probably one of the few I usually skip but holy crap. I think I need to spend more time with it because that was ridiculous. Starts slow into total rock out, with Caleb and Matthew facing off and Nathan somewhat resembling an octopus he was so all over the kit. Plus, the screaming made "Charmer" look tame.
- I love "Sex on Fire", it's an awesome song and without it, I'm not sure I would have ever given this band the attention I have since hearing it. That said, tonight reminded me that there are at least ten songs I love more than "Sex on Fire".
- Related, I love "Use Somebody", it's an awesome song and without it, I'm not sure I would have ever given this band the attention I have since hearing it. I continue to adore it, over a year later, and I'm convinced I will never tire of it. Hearing it live tonight was amazing.
- Closed with "Black Thumbnail", which gave them all one last chance to rock out and shine. Kick ass!
Before the concert was over, Caleb thanked us again, then said happily. "It seems like some of you have more than just the latest record!" Huge cheers. "It's about fucking time!" There's only so much I can say, being a newer fan myself. I only got into them because of Only by the Night. The other three albums were quick to follow, though, and I can see where their frustration lies with people only knowing the two hit songs and even just the most recent album. Caleb isn't shy about letting on that he wishes people knew more of the music and I'm glad that the older songs are starting to go over so well with the bigger audiences. They're awesome songs!
After the show, we waited for the bus back to the train and laughed at the drunk guys behind us in line and re-wrote "Use Somebody" to our needs and then waited too long at the train because the train schedule does not coincide at all with when the concert gets out/buses drop off. But all told, it was a great experience, I really liked the Izod Center and will go back there for a concert in a heartbeat and of course, it was great to see those Followill boys. Can't wait for what's next from them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment