Saturday, November 14, 2009

Band of Brothers: Jonas Brothers and NeedToBreathe

Jonas Brothers
Brothers: Kevin Jonas (guitar), Joe Jonas (lead vocals), Nick Jonas (lead vocals, guitar, piano, drums)
Other Members: None

Ohh, Jonas. What can I say about these three? Mostly, I love them. And they have some really great songs that get overlooked because of who they are and how popular they are and their fanbase. I love me some catchy pop and that's not even all they offer. "A Little Bit Longer" anyone?

While I love Kevin and Joe, I am always quick to admit that Nick is the talent. Not to say that the older two aren't good at what they do. Joe is an amazing and energetic frontman and Kevin has so much heart, but so much lies in Nick. He plays three instruments, he writes a lot of their songs (though sometimes with his brothers, also sometimes alone) and he sings about half of the leads. Their group started because of Nick, who was signed as a solo act and then ultimately, the idea of the group of three brothers came along. I'm curious what is going to happen with these three as their fame starts to dwindle, as it inevitably will. I really, honestly hope they end up like Hanson, still making music and having a close following even when they aren't so much in the limelight because I do think they have a lot more talent than people give them credit for.

I still adore this song:


NeedToBreathe
Brothers: Bear Rinehart (lead vocals, guitar), Bo Rinehart (guitar)
Other Members: Seth Bolt (bass), Joe Stillwell (drums)

I'm still pretty new to NeedToBreathe but it's safe to say that they'll be sticking around on my list of favorites. Their music is more faith-based than any other I listen to, based mainly on Bear and Bo's father being a preacher and their upbringing. What I love about them is that while they do have those songs that are very obviously about their faith and they're clearly very in tune with each other through that, it doesn't define them or their music. Some of my favorite songs of theirs are those, especially since Bear tends to sound just a little bit more awesome (see below) but their regular old rock tunes are flat out amazing as well, and catchy to boot. I mean, "Girl Named Tennesse"? Love it.

Bear has such a soulful rock voice and Bo's is so smooth and they blend together so ridiculously well, in that way that only brother's voices can. Listen to these two:

No comments: